So my other veggie burgers are complicated and take a while to make, these are super easy and take about 20 minutes start to finish. The main base is simply mashed black beans. Black beans are a great source of fiber, protein, and vitamin B6 so you don’t have to feel guilty about eating these! If you’re trying to watch your carbs you can also put this on top of a salad. Experiment with the seasonings and toppings, get creative. I’ve topped them with pickles and provolone cheese. I’ve also added different things inside the burgs: roasted red peppers, garlic and a mixture of cannelloni beans and black beans.
Here’s what I used this time: (This recipe is to make 2 large burgers or 3 regular ones)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- about 1/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs (you need enough to soak up most of the moisture)
- curry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- slices of tomato
- some pieces of romaine
- hamburger buns
- Saute the onion in a pan with some olive oil and salt and pepper, about 5 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, mash black beans in a bowl and add seasonings.
- Add onions to black bean mixture, and mix
- Add breadcrumbs and mix some more
- Form burgers into patties and put in a skillet over med heat
- Cook on each side for a few minutes
- Add to bun and top with lettuce and tomato
The curry powder added great flavor and a little spice while the onions add a little texture! Enjoy.