This is a Three Bean Salad, I made this at the beginning of the week so I could store it in the fridge and eat it throughout the week. This is another recipe I got this recipe from the Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook (which Ironically has hardly any illustrations). I did change it slightly, by substituting canned Garbanzo beans for fresh yellow beans. I also subbed olive oil for canola oil. Still tastes amazing though!
What you’ll need:
- 8 oz. Fresh green beans, cleaned, de-stemmed, and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 can of Garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 can of red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cup Red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Heat vinegar, sugar, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. About 5 minutes.
- Pour vinegar mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool to room temp.
- Boil water in a medium size pot, add green beans and cook for about 5 minutes. Until they are soft/crunchy.
- Drain and immediately put into ice water. This stops the cooking process. Let cool about 2 minutes.
- Mix all beans, onion, and parsley in with vinegar mixture (I poured everything into a large Tupperware container where I was going to store it)
- Let stand room temp for at least 30 minutes if you are going to eat it right after you make it. This dish tastes best when it is refrigerated for a day then serve. This way the beans can soak up some of the flavor from the vinegar mixture.
This recipe is great for BBQ’s and potlucks. Also good to make and save in the fridge to throw with any meal as a healthy side dish. It was a little sweet for me so next time I would tone it down on the sugar and use about 1/2 cup instead of 3/4.