While writing new posts, I always feel like opening with “one of my favorite foods”, I’m realizing that almost every food is my ‘favorite’. So here’s another favorite: fish tacos and my Aunt Pat’s famous strawberry salad. My Aunt Pat has a few famous dishes (in my eyes anyways): Strawberry salad, spaghetti, spicy shrimp, breakfast sandwiches, even pancakes and remember…I don’t like breakfast food. These fish tacos are fresh and simple which makes them really tasty and the salad is a nice fresh compliment.
What you’ll need:
- 1 Avocado, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 large Red Onion, diced 1/2 for salad and 1/2 for the salsa
- Freshly chopped Cilantro (maybe about 2-3 tbsp.)
- 1 Lime
- 1 pack of Strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 1 pack of crumbled Blue Cheese
- Mixed Greens
- 1 Pack of Tortillas
- Tilapia fillets (or another light, white fish)
- Viladia Onion is traditionally used with this salad but you could also use a creamy italian
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
There are three main parts to this meal: the avocado salsa, the fish, and the strawberry salad. Make the salsa and salad first, so that when the fish is ready, you can eat!
- Add the Avocado, 1/2 diced red onion, cilantro, and tomato into a bowl and mix together.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime on top, add salt and pepper and mix again.
- Set in fridge.
- Put mixed greens into a large bowl, top with strawberries, onion, and blue cheese crumbles.
- Set in fridge.
- Season both sides of fillets with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat olive oil in pan over med heat and add fillets.
- Cook fillets just a few minutes on each side then set onto a large plate
- Tear fillets apart into large chunks to use for tacos
Now construct your fish taco!