I have to be honest, breakfast is my least favorite meal of the day. Correction: I like breakfast, I just don’t like the typical breakfast food. I’d much rather have a sandwich, piece of pizza, or a slice of red velvet cake than any pancakes or cereal. BUT if breakfast includes potatoes and vegetables then I’m in! Potatoes, in any form, are always appropriate. This is a healthy, easy breakfast meal. I also am not a fan of eggs, well actually just the yolk, so I use a mix of whole eggs and egg whites.
What you’ll need:
- 3 eggs (2 whites, 1 whole egg)
- Some yellow onion, chopped
- Some green bell pepper (you can use red or whatever), chopped
- About 4 sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 sliced piece of kale (could also use spinach but use a lot more)
- 2 slices of tomato, diced
- 1 potato, cut into chunks
- Bring some water to boil in a saucepan. Add the potato.
- When potatoes are soft, but still a little bit hard, strain them and set aside. It’s ok if they are a little undercooked because they will cook more in the pan
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add the onion, saute for a few minutes
- Add the green bell pepper, and saute for a few more minutes
- Put the pepper and onion mixture on one side of the pan and put the mushroom on the other half of the pan, they cook better this way. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- When mushrooms are almost cooked, add potatoes and mix all together. Cook for a few minutes
- Add kale and tomato and mix. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl with some pepper and salt and add to the veggie potato mixture. The key to fluffy eggs is to touch them as little as possible, so once you pour them in let it sit for a couple minutes then mix it around and let it sit again for a minute
- Should be done fairly soon!
Don’t forget the hot sauce. I douse mine in Frank’s RedHot, best hot sauce! It’s not even hot but I love the flavor.
This recipe is for one person, just amp up the ingredients for more servings.