You know the feeling. You’re staring into your fridge trying to figure out what you can make with all the random stuff. This is what I made on one of those nights.
Earlier this week, I had bought some brussel sprouts from the farmers market, which until recently I had sworn off ever eating again (22 years ago), I had some eggplant left over, and I had some tomato sauce I made a few days ago.
Here is a tomato sauce recipe:
- One can tomato paste
- One yellow onion
- A couple heads of garlic or more
- Italian spice
- Mix tomato paste in a bowl with water, I usually fill the can with water (x2) and pour into bowl. You decide for your own consistency.
- Heat olive oil in a pot, add onion and cook for a few minutes
- Add garlic and herbs, cook for one more minute then add tomato paste.
- Let sauce summer for about 10 minutes so all the flavors can cook together.
I just took my already made sauce from the fridge and re-heated it in the pot.
I fried the eggplant.
- Put some oil in a pan
- slice eggplant and dip into egg, then bread crumbs
- Put eggplant into hot oil, fry on each side 2-3 minutes
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Cut off the root and slice in half length wise (see below)
- Boil water in a pot and boil sprouts for about 5 minutes
- Remove from water and heat some olive oil in a pan
- Add red pepper flakes and garlic
- Add sprouts flat side down
- sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Let cook until a little brown
Add them all together.
Wine Pairing: A Chianti (Sangiovese) or a Barbera would go nicely with this dish. A red that is dry but not too overpowering. Both Italian and both delicious!