Portabella and Spinach pizza! Everyone loves pizza…or at least I do. This pizza was easy and was soooo good. I even forgot to take pictures of it until it was almost done haha (this is typical…sorry for the lack of pictures).
I buy the pre-made whole wheat dough from Whole Foods, it’s about $3
The dough has to sit out for 30 minutes until its easier to stretch so you can leave it out of the fridge while you prepare everything else.
You’ll also need:
- Red onion – sliced, however much you want on the pizza
- One large portabella mushroom slicked and cut into pieces
- Spinach – I use enough to put a nice layer over the top of the crust with pieces slightly overlapping
- Mozzarella cheese – about a cup or so
I make my own sauce:
- 1 can tomato paste
- Oregano (if you use fresh make sure you chop them up)
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic – about 3 or 4 cloves (I LOVE garlic)
- 1 Yellow onion diced
Ok so start the sauce first (unless you have a jar of premade sauce, then you can skip this step)
- Mix the tomato paste with about 2-3 cans of water depending on the consistency you want and set this aside
- In a pot heat some olive oil, then add the yellow onion and saute for a few minutes
- add garlic and herbs and saute for another minute
- add the tomato paste and once it starts to bubble turn down to simmer, for about 10 minutes
- add the salt and pepper
While the sauce is cooking cut the ingredients for the top of the pizza.
Put some olive oil down on the surface that you will be cooking your pizza on (Stone, baking tray, whatever)
Spread out the dough for the pizza and when the sauce is done top with sauce, spinach, cheese, then onion and portabella.
Whatever sauce you don’t use, you can save for later.
Bake on 450 for about 15 minutes.
Remember to wait for it to cool when you take it out…don’t be like me and burn your mouth because you’re so excited!